[Land-speed] Question Re. September Speed World

Ellen Wilkinson gary_ellen at msn.com
Sat May 3 15:29:40 MDT 2008

Hi Bill, saw your post on the list. World of Speed is set up and ran quite
similarly to Speed Week.  You will see some vehicles at ours that don't go
there and vice-a-versa.  The main difference is we are a single club and SCTA
is composed of 11 to 13 (I forget) member clubs.  Speed Week and Finals are
supervised by BNI their Bonneville entity.  We use the SCTA rule book, any
records set at our event, if fastest for the year will go in the next years
rule book.   We also host our 130 club and 150 club.  The rules for these can
be found on the web site www.saltflats.com<http://www.saltflats.com/> .  It is
a way for someone to bring the 'grocery getter' or a vehicle that is running
in another race venue but not quite up to Bonneville standards, experience the
salt as a participant, and get a timing slip.  Hopefully you will become
addicted and build a race car.
Since we run in September the weather is a little cooler and you won't see as
many tourists as you do in August.  Since we don't have quite as many entrants
we run the long and short course on the same track.   Seems to work out just
fine.
The 130 mile has its' own course.
With either event you want to be there in the first few days.  As entrants run
they break or set their record and leave.
Hope this helps
Gary & Ellen Wilkinson
Utah Salt Flats Racing Association
World of Speed Sept. 17 - 20, 2008