[Land-speed] Classifying the Sunbeam

MPittwood at compuserve.com MPittwood at compuserve.com
Fri Aug 29 15:19:18 MDT 2008

Mayf & list

The FIA do not operate classifications by body type.  You may run any shape
of car that you think is fast enough.

Your car wull be iin Category A. - Special Automobile.

With the turbochargers your car will then be in Group I - reciprocating 2
or 4 stroke engine with supercharger..

The class depends upon the measured engine capacity of your notor - which I
cannot remember but I feel sure it is over 5000cc so you will be in either
class 10 or if over 8000cc it will be class 11.

So you will enter A - I - 10 or A - I - 11.

But befoire you do, check out the mile and kilo speed records for these
entries under the FIA lists  They are as follows:

A - I - 10: mile - 405.862 mph and kilo 406.321 mph (Al Teague set them)
A - I - 11 mile - 409.987 mph and kilo 425.050 mph (Al set these too).

Your goal should be to exceed the speed of the fastest Sunbeam - the Golden
Arrow - mile average two runs in 1929 of 231.446 mph.

Malcolm UK