[Land-speed] Alky Burner

Dave Dahlgren ddahlgren at snet.net
Thu Apr 17 12:08:33 MDT 2008

I have never had an alky engine that needed more than a gasoline one ever...
The octane of methanol is 102 most any racing gas is 108 to 118.. Well to be
correct there is no octane numbers over 100 after that they are referred to
as performance numbers. Did you try 32? If not why not LOL... On a dyno
sheet always ask for both corrected and uncorrected HP and torque and write
down on the sheet the weather conditions baro air temp and relative
humidity. That way you can verify any corrected numbers are accurate. Better
yet bring your own weather station and get those numbers yourself in the
dyno cell seconds after the pull and close the door behind you on the way to
help preserve the conditions in there. Usually I leave the baro sensor and
air temp sensor in the cell and dash in to get RH.. That being said I only
bother with this if it is a shop I have never worked with and am concerned
about having a dyno that is either a bit 'fast' or 'slow'. A quick look will
tell you if it is necessary or if the numbers don't make sense.

Tell me about the cam for a 5 liter engine 605 is painfully light..on alky..
duration at 0.050 lobe separation lift rockers all that jazz.  What size
butterflies in the injector and assume 18 degree heads as they are very
common. Compression ratio is of some concern as well and if this is
proprietary just send them straight to me and not the list..

Now if things are a bit dicey at speedweek and it is wednesday or later and
you need a mph or two I would take the chance of adding a degree or two of
advance because of the density altitude... But it is the last thin to try
not the first..
Dave