[Land-speed] Electrical Solenoid Valve Actuation ? YES.

Jon Bishop jon.the.wise at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 21:31:22 MDT 2007

On Sep 1, 2007, at 4:03 PM, FastmetalBDF at aol.com wrote:

> Electric Solenoids operating valves on an internal combustion
> engine, you
> ask ???  How about the Cadillac model a few years back with
> rockers  controlled
> by electrical signals so it could cruise on 4 cylinders after
> getting  up to
> speed on 8, and then 6, as it approached cruising speed  ?  Wasn't
> it referred
> to as the 4-6-8 Cadillac Mileage Motor  ?  Another Motor Marvel
> relegated to
> the dustbin of 20th Century  Wonder Cures for All that Ails Your
> Auto ?  At
> least this one got put into  production ..... Was it not a
> success ?  Too much
> maintenance involved  ?    Bruce, recalling waaaay back in my pre-
> teen years

It tanked. I guess the theory was good, but tech wasn't up to the job
yet, so the motor ran poorly on 4 and 6, had little or no power at
that range, and then was still a gas hog (which is what the 4-6-8
design was trying to solve)

All new Chrysler Hemis run on a similiar "displacement on demand"
design, 4 cylinder cruising with v8 power. They average 20mpg.

> <snip>

~Jon