[Land-speed] Electrical Solenoid Valve Actuation ? YES.

FastmetalBDF at aol.com FastmetalBDF at aol.com
Sat Sep 1 17:03:29 MDT 2007

Electric Solenoids operating valves on an internal combustion engine, you
ask ???  How about the Cadillac model a few years back with rockers  controlled
by electrical signals so it could cruise on 4 cylinders after getting  up to
speed on 8, and then 6, as it approached cruising speed  ?  Wasn't it referred
to as the 4-6-8 Cadillac Mileage Motor  ?  Another Motor Marvel relegated to
the dustbin of 20th Century  Wonder Cures for All that Ails Your Auto ?  At
least this one got put into  production ..... Was it not a success ?  Too much
maintenance involved  ?    Bruce, recalling waaaay back in my pre-teen years
when  my very mechanically inclined uncle, who I saw as an expert on Anything at
All  Automotive, used to tell me he put so many gas-saving devices on a car he
once  owned that he had to drain the tank every two weeks !  In my teen
years he had a super-neat '37 Chev coupe that I hoped & prayed would one day  be
mine !  Alas, and alack .....he sold it sometime in my twenties. Gone  forever,
never to see my shop.  Eventually, upon his passing, I did inherit  a car
that he actually drove to the age of 82, when his eyesight got too  poor for any
more driving.  That particular car was a tired out 1967 Camaro  with a stock
six, and needing paint, brakes, body work & much TLC ......  Many of you saw
this car on the Salt in 2000 and 2001, well after my oldest son  Doug first
treated it to much mechanical love, a great looking big block Chev,  and Mopar
'Plum Crazy' paint ..... it was the biggest hit at his high  school parking lot.
He afterward traded it to my youngest boy, Darrell, who  dragged it a few
times at Sears Point( NOT Infineon then )and then  pulled it all apart for the
conversion to a Salt & dry lakes car ...... aka  the Black Radon Engineering #
939 B/BFAltered. My uncle only saw my oldest  son as a little boy still playing
with toy cars, and never got to see his  younger brother, but I kinda think he
would have been pretty  proud of what they did to his old stovebolt six
grocery  getter .....
Here Endeth This Oldguy Rant   ~