[Land-speed] Alternative Fuels>From>Jim McNaul

Jon Wennerberg jon at infodestruction.com
Mon Jul 16 07:50:43 MDT 2007

On Jul 15, 2007, at 11:38 PM, joseph lance wrote:

Mayf;
  And since coal contains a
small amount of Uranium, the public gets a bigger radiation dose from
a coal
fired power plant than it does from a nuclear plant.

Lance

I had heard that indeed, there is radiation from the coal at coal-
fired power plants, but it's from the radioactive radon gas that's
exuded from the coal -- not from included uranium.  I don't know
about other places in the country, but up here -- with our tightly-
insulated houses and old-fashioned stone-walled basements -- radon
gas is a big enough threat to public safety that most county health
departments have radon gas test kits available for the public, and
they run public service announcements about radon on the radio stations.

                 Jon Wennerberg
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
              Marquette, Michigan
              (that's 'way up north)