[Land-speed] Alternative Fuels>From>Jim McNaul

drmayf drmayf at mayfco.com
Sun Jul 15 23:10:31 MDT 2007

Excuse me but you are wrong. I worked at Oak Ridge. K25 was the
enrichment palnt for all nuclear fuel. Power plant or bomb except that
bombs  all now use plutonium which is the by product of fast burning of
uranium fuel.  Oak Ridge has mor e reactor ready materials for nuke
plants than can be used in a hundred years. Why? It was too costly to
shut down.  As to 3 mile Island, yeah we were protecte but just barely.
And at that there were serious problems. The fuel had fractured and was
in the process of becoming the china syndrome before humans got enough
water on it to cool it down. I spent quite a lot of time in a nuke spent
fuel plant looking over the designs to assure safety. There is on eheck
of a lot of liquid wastes that have to go somewhere (nitric acid is one
of the liquids).  Part of the bad rap on nukes is the unbelieveable
costs involved with building one. And them maintaining it. And then
decommissioning it when it's useful life ahs completed.  I did a lot of
work for the US Senate regarding spent fuel, nuclear waste, storage and
reprocessing. Then I spent a lot of time in oak ridge designing new and
improved methods of enriching uranium. I ahve some back f=ground here
and your data just does not fly.

mayf