[Land-speed] No Hands Chute Release>From>Jim McNaul

Dick J lsr_man at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 29 14:13:16 MDT 2007

Jim,

  I thought of electrical, using a button on the steering wheel, but I decided I didn't want to lose my chute too if I already had a blown engine or something and had killed the power, or maybe had an electrical short.  I just thought I'd feel better with a direct link to the chute.  I then thought of a foot release, in my case,using the parking brake pedal, but I nixed that out of choice.

  I designed a lever release which is mounted on the left front cage downtube.  The lever is "L"-shaped and the tip of it's handle is three inches from the outside rim of my steering wheel.  That leaves me enough room to turn the steering wheel as much as I want to with my hands fully in place, but keeps the release within finger-tip distance.

  I "pull" the chute without taking my hands off the wheel.  I just extend the two outside fingers on my left hand, catch the lever, and move it down. I've used it quite a few times and really like it.  It's particularly nice to have both hands steady on the wheel when pulling the chute in a crosswind.

  If you're interested, send me an email off-line and I'll send you a couple of photos.

  DickJ
  In East Texas

jgmagoo at comcast.net wrote:
  I read the post about being able to release the chute without taking either hand off the steering wheel. This is interesting and makes sense.

I am building an enclosed cockpit lakester.

My question is, what is a super-reliable, fool-proof system for releasing the chute using a button/ switch on the steering wheel? I assume it would be something of an electrical or air-actuated release. What I guess I'm asking is what is the safest and most reliable method of accomplishing this. A lever and cable release, which I see used by many, seems very reliable and fool-proof, but the hands-on-the-wheel idea seems to have merit also. Decisions, decisions!

Thanks.

Jim