[Land-speed] Face it, a record is a record, in your eyes, not mine

Askotto at aol.com Askotto at aol.com
Sun Aug 19 11:58:47 MDT 2007

OK, I admit that a record is a record. When it's in the book a record
holders name that only made two pass' on a soft record in a borrowed car looks  just
like the name of a racer who may have designed and built his car from
scratch and may have thousands of hours of knuckle breaking in the car and  many
trips to the salt to get their name in the book, compared to the  "two pass
wonder".

To everybody that responded but me, that's just fine. Even though I praised
DF's team in every way for their accomplishments of getting the bracket racer
brick down the salt safely for 10 pass', their cherry pickin records didn't
impress me as much, that's all.

The only difference is my opinion of what a record "should stand for"
compared to apparently "everybody" else.

Try and pop 4 different drivers in a C class car and see if they can break  5
different class records in 10 runs!!! Do you see the difference? It would  be
nearly impossible. But take soft or open records in the AA class and it
"appears" to be a relative piece of cake. That should light up the  list!!!!

I hold the C/GL record in Texas at 196.703. Woopie. It doesn't mean a thing
to me because I'm the only C/GL to ever run Texas. I set the record on an
"open  record" so it means nothing to me. If I ran 60 mph, I would still hold the
record.

On the other hand, I was extremely pleased with my first ever LSR  experience
in a car I designed, built and drive myself. I have gone over 222 in  it
which is an accomplishment, I am told. I still haven't hit my personal goal  of
250. Maybe next year, If I live through the bypass surgery!!! LOL

But like I said, my "record" doesn't mean squat to me. Just a different
level of discrimination on records.

To me a record has to mean something to get my respect.

Otto