[Land-speed] Face it, a record is a record, in your eyes, not mine

BWANA343 at aol.com BWANA343 at aol.com
Sun Aug 19 12:20:59 MDT 2007

In a message dated 8/19/2007 2:02:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Askotto at aol.com writes:

I hold  the C/GL record in Texas at 196.703. Woopie. It doesn't mean a thing

to me because I'm the only C/GL to ever run Texas. I set the record on an
"open  record" so it means nothing to me. If I ran 60 mph, I would  still
hold the
record.

The Bonneville record for C/GL is 272.371 set at Speedweek 2004 by
C.R.Markley. The rule of thumb for one mile tracks like Goliad or Maxton is  about 20%
faster on the Salt due to the longer run-up. Your personal best of 196  puts
you under that record at 240ish, which is still fine for a first timer.
Bottom line, what ever floats your boat, gets you through the night, or
makes you happy is what most LSR types strive for. All the guys with  multiple
records with the exact same car could make the same argument in reverse  as to
why you don't take advantage of the duplicity of the rules. I call it
horizontal competition, and my personal preference is to either go to a larger  engine,
fuel or Aero stuff, as in vertical advancement.
But first I got to go there and back up what I say I can do, like KT and  the
Sunshine Bananas did, many times.....with a push rod Brick, yet...
Bob, trying hard for WOS, W