[Healeys] FW: RE: 100 Body Numbers

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Thu Sep 15 15:18:39 MDT 2022

The link to the Jensen story, in the BJ8 section, quotes me in a couple places, but incorrectly.  BJ8s did not have a “Jensen number” on the “brightwork”, but did have a number stamped in three places by Jensen:
On the fixed part of the bonnet latch, just in front of the radiator

On the driver’s side (in reference to LHD cars) bonnet flange where the hinge is bolted

On the underside of the boot lid where the prop rod attaches.

The number begins with a letter, followed by one, two, or three numerical digits.  The earliest Phase 1 cars have the letter “E”.  Each letter could accommodate 999 bodies before switching to the next letter.  The latest Phase 2 BJ8s had the letter V.  Interestingly, the very last car, 43026, has only the number “2” and no letter.

I have been documenting BJ8 Batch/Body numbers for many years and currently have them for 2,929 cars.   I’ve only been documenting the Jensen numbers against the chassis and body numbers for a few years, but have them for 324 cars to date.  I would like to have more, and would have if everyone with a BJ8 would send them to me.

Hank:  I am not sure what is meant by “The last BJ8 car finished, painted in Metallic Golden Beige…”  The highest chassis number of the Metallic Golden Beige cars is 43025, which is the one in the photograph with UK registration OAC 656F, but it was not the last MGB car completed on the production line.  I document 15 others that were completed later than 16 Nov 67.    The actual last BJ8 finished on the line was 43000, a BRG car completed on 11 Jan 68.

Steve Byers

HBJ8L/36666

BJ8 Registry

AHCA Delegate at  Large