[Healeys] gas pedal adjustment

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Thu Sep 1 22:01:46 MDT 2022

I take it that Rich’s throttle symptoms have occurred suddenly.

Last spring I replaced the exhaust manifolds on my BJ8 and had to remove the throttle lever with the pinch bolt for access.   After reassembling everything, I  did a 250-mile run to attend the first  event since Covid put an end to car activities and everything was normal.   On the way from the motel to the car show the next morning, I experienced the same symptoms as Rich Antal describes:  I had to press the pedal almost to the floor to get the car to accelerate.  I  suspected the pinch bolt had loosened and allowed the throttle lever to slip on the pedal shaft.   After the show, I turned the lever to the proper location for opening the carb butterflies and the problem was solved (actually, it became TOO responsive to the accelerator pedal).  When I got home, I did the adjustment according to the manual.

I think Rich’s lever is also slipping on the shaft.

Steve Byers

HBJ8L/36666

BJ8 Registry

AHCA Delegate at Large