[Healeys] Healeys Digest, Vol 15, Issue 208

simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com
Mon Jul 4 10:33:22 MDT 2022

Speaking for the UK, tax is levied on a sliding scale taking into account the car's age, engine size, fuel, electric/hybrid etcetc. (Actually, not sure if age counts). There's no 3 litre threshold, here at least; it just gets worse as the engine gets bigger. But, not all engines are treated the same....cars with identical sized engines get charged more or less depending on their pollution output.
It gets worse......we have ULEZ areas in London. (Ultra Low Emission Zone). Cameras on the main roads leading into these zones scan one's plate and, if your car doesn't "pass", then it's £12:50 per day!!
Worst of all...TfL, (Transport for London) is extending the ULEZ in all directions and my daughter's house will now be inside the zone by +/- 150 yards. Her car will be fine, but my Seat diesel will fail by a mile.
Maybe I can sneak in by side roads!
Curiously, cars over 40 years old are tax exempt! On a rolling scale too!! So, if one's car reaches 40 on 1st April, then it becomes exempt. One is pleased but remains puzzled.
Likewise, cars over 40 years old don't have to have an MOT. Ministry of Transport (test). Apparently, they say, owners of 40 year old+ cars can be trusted to ensure their cars are safe! That is crazy. Plenty of classic car owners wouldn't know a ring spanner from a hammer.
Simon