[Healeys] fuel consumption

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Jul 3 09:17:44 MDT 2022

A friend and I used to take a long road trip--up to 5,000 miles--in my
BJ8 every year for over 20 years. He checked our mileage at every fuel
stop--useful if your gas gauge goes on the fritz--and I checked the
odometer against the roadside markers (it was spot on). Through three
engines the mileage stayed very nearly the same: 15MPUSG in stop-and-go
city driving, best I got was 25 on 'slow' (55MPH), flat highway driving
(eastern Oregon, when the troopers used to enforce it) and at freeway
speeds (70-75MPH) I got around 18.  When I went from the 3.9 rear end to
a 3.54 I expected a mileage 'bonus,' but at most I got a tenth or two
better MPG.

29.6 miles per USG is extraordinary; these conversations come around
every few years and no on ever claimed much more than I was getting.