[Healeys] fuel consumption

m.g.sharp at sympatico.ca m.g.sharp at sympatico.ca
Sun Jul 3 05:48:59 MDT 2022

Thanks Roland and Jim,  Since Jim brought up fuel and ethanol, I should add that I only use Shell 91 which has zero ethanol.  Ethanol will marginally reduce gas mileage.  Also, I run my tyres with 30lbs of pressure.

I did a Google search on fuel consumption in Healeys and it seemed that it should be around 18-20 mpg (imperial), however a poster from Germany reported getting about 10.5 in the first 1000 miles after rebuild but after a few thousand miles and more carb tuning he about doubled it.  Maybe I ought to be patient.  I have been driving it gently, certainly for the first 500 miles.  Perhaps I need to thrash it a bit!  Mike – do I have you permission?

When I was 20 and had just bought it I could fill the tank with Esso Extra at the station where I worked for under $7 (cdn).  I filled up yesterday with still a quarter of a tank left and it cost me $97+.  Damn scary.

I’m looking forward to more comments – I still think it 10.1 is exceptionally low, even taking into account the rebuild.