[Healeys] 6 cyl heater tap on the block

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Apr 17 10:46:45 MDT 2022

More-or-less.

It's an, uh, 'interesting' part. Usually, you'd expect a ball valve in
this type of application but, instead of a ball the valve is
cone-shaped, with a hole for water passage. The cone is held within the
(tapered) body by a spring, with a thin washer on one side and a thick
one, notched to limit the 90deg movement, on the other. Because it's a
cone, the valve requires the spring to hold it tight against the body,
but if they part the valve will leak. I found this out recently when my
heater control valve started to leak and I thought "No problem, I'll
just close the block valve." Then, I took a drive and the block valve
started leaking so badly I needed a tow home. I hadn't 'exercised' this
valve in a long time and I think finally getting it to move opened a gap
between the cone and the body of the valve (the spring is supposed to
hold them tightly together). I took it apart, cleaned it, and put a
slightly thicker flat washer on the spring.

Moral of the story: 'Work' this valve occasionally (maybe at oil
changes). If yours is stuck, don't grab a wrench or pliers--the handle
is fragile--but lightly tap the spring side, maybe with a screwdriver
handle. If you're lucky, that will break the adhesion between the
moving, cone-shaped valve and its body.

A fine example of British over-engineering.