[Healeys] New Clutch query

m.g.sharp at sympatico.ca m.g.sharp at sympatico.ca
Mon Sep 20 11:29:44 MDT 2021

Thanks for the extra detail Simon, looks like you have the process well in
hand.  I don't think you will know why the g'box would not snug up to the
rear plate unless you have it out again, especially since it went in OK the
previous times.  I have no explanation.  If you have to pump the clutch to
get a clean shift there is definitely air in the system.  A longer pushrod
will not help that, it will just position the piston in the slave cylinder
in a different place - the amount of movement will remain the same.

Good point from Bob on the helicoil for the slave cyl bolts,  Also, the
original bolts on mine did not extend all the way to the end of the threaded
holes, so I installed longer bolts that do go all the way, but do not
project into the bell housing as I believe there is little clearance between
the pressure plate and the inside of the housing and you don't want it
catching on the ends of long bolts!

FYI, the clutch issue I had a few years back was with a new Borg&Beck
clutch.  B&B was taken over by new ownership a few years ago (it could have
been quite a few) and the design of the clutch disc changed.  The change was
that on the originals, the springs that take up the torque were retained by
a partial cage (disc on left in attached photo).  In the new design they
were fully enclosed (disc on right).  This increased the thickness of the
centre of the clutch plate minimally.  However, it was enough that when I
fully depressed the clutch pedal, the arms (levers) on the pressure plate
fouled the spring cages on the clutch disc and made a hell of a racket.  In
the photo, you can see the marks in the fully enclosed spring housing on the
new design where it was hitting the arms of the pressure plate.   It worked
OK and the shifting was fine, unless I fully depressed the clutch pedal.  An
NOS clutch disk kindly supplied by Mike Salter fixed the issue.

Let us know how it goes Simon.

Cheers, Mirek