[Healeys] Clutch

simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com
Tue Oct 5 09:16:28 MDT 2021

Hi,

I’ve been engaged on other things until recently. However, the clutch
continues to be an issue.

We got the gearbox back in OK. Wouldn’t budge until we changed engine’s
angle, then it slotted in.

With the aid of an old email of Michaels I have, I think and hope,
determined that the clutch itself can work
..

With the car in 4th and drive shaft disconnected I depressed the clutch
pedal by hand. With the tunnel cover off I was well able to watch the slave.

I got about ½” to ¾” total movement of the slave cylinder’s push rod at
which point – pedal depressed to the floor – the clutch was released ie I
could turn the flange that couples to the driveshaft by hand. ½”
depression
..no movement of the flange. ie everything in the last ¼”.

That’s got to be hydraulics???

I’ll bleed it again, maybe pushing backwards into master with the slave. But
I’m not optimistic as I’ve tried bleeding several times.

My clutch master cylinder has been in the car since I’ve owned it. +/- 25
years. Am tempted to replace it but hate throwing parts at a problem. Good
idea?

Another thing
..I do confess to never having changed the fluid 100%. I
always push a load through and out when I have to bleed the brakes but
that’s mercifully seldom.

Any comments
.particularly re the 1/2 to 3/4 “ travel???

Simon