[Healeys] Spam

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Tue Nov 16 08:40:40 MST 2021

Our email addresses, among other personal data, has been pilfered from
the many data breaches that have occurred over the past few years (some
from companies whose job it is to keep our data secured). These have
been collected by some and sold, usually on the 'dark web,' as huge
lists that can be used to spam thousands, if not millions of users. I've
had my info stolen stolen several times; often the idiot companies that
have been breached will offer some sort of service to monitor your
private data; they'll report "Yeah, your email/birthday/SS# etc. has
been found somewhere you don't want it to be." Not much you can do about
it; we all use our email addresses in account profiles--sometimes, it's
all you can use for a 'username'--and, even if you get a new email
address it's a major hassle to change all your accounts (hackers try to
do this) and the new account will be compromised eventually.

Telephone spamming is even easier: they're sequences of numbers, and
autodialers can just rotor through them. I kept my Bay Area phone#, and
I only know a couple people up there now and they're in my contacts
list, so I know if I get an unknown caller from that area code it's
almost certainly spam.

Technology giveth, and technology taketh away.