[Healeys] dead

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Tue May 4 20:47:12 MDT 2021

Of some use, maybe:

I have an old Ford 851 tractor; early '50s vintage, 6V positive ground.
It has a new battery, and after a spell on the charger it will
start--grudgingly--then once, when I pulled the charger off after
starting it died. After another charge, it would start but would die if
I tried to lift the hydraulic buck rake, or tried to drive it away. I
checked charge voltage at the battery, and at a fast idle it would only
show 6V. I had the generator rebuilt, and installed a new VR. Boom: good
start, 6+ volts and plenty of juice to both move and operate the buck rake.

Conclusion: Coils provide a fixed ratio voltage increase, based on input
voltage. On this tractor, 6V--a charging generator should provide almost
7V at a fast idle--was enough to start and idle, but didn't provide
enough spark under load. I'm usually skeptical of coil failures, because
they have no moving parts and nothing to wear out, and my BJ8 with over
200K miles still has the original coil as does my BN2 (AFAIK) but it's
an easy and cheap enough 'fix' to attempt. It's also possible all the
previous 'fixes,' along with a new coil, put this engine 'over the top.'

Bob