[Healeys] BJ8---clutch and "SS" aka--scuttle shake

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Thu Jul 8 09:34:40 MDT 2021

I've haven't been able to drive it a lot because I have brake issues and
got kicked out of my house and have to move quickly, but new (MWS)
wheels and tires seems to have eliminated scuttle shake in my BN2.

I'd be hard-pressed to believe a PP 'finger' got bent, that's some
pretty strong steel (unless, like a lot of things, the new PPs have been
cheapened to increase profit and executive bonuses). I have no clue, but
suspect you'll have to pull the gearbox to find out what's going on.

Afterthought: I don't recall which Healey you have, but if it's a 4-cyl
or one of the earlier 6s they have a coil spring PP instead of the later
diaphragm type; if so it's possible one of those springs is broken. My
BJ8 once had a disk with a busted vibration damper spring--it that's
what they're called--which caused some judder when engaging.

Bob