[Healeys] BJ8 Rear Brake

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Wed Jul 7 10:12:04 MDT 2021

re: '... there still being some residual brake fluid on the drum (even
though I thought I had cleaned it all off) ...'

Can't be done. I tried once, by cleaning--with brake cleaner--sanding
the 'wet' off and repeat repeat repeat. I thought I had some cleaned,
but after sitting overnight brake fluid would ooze out, no matter how
many times I tried to clean them. Maybe, if it's a light 'dusting' of
fluid, and you get to it immediately you can have some success, but who
wants to take any chances with brakes?

FWIW, I've 'voided the warranty' several times using silicone BF with no
issues (I have had problems with DoT 3, though). I don't recall the
'Classic Gold' cylinders I got from Moss having that warning on the box.
I was grateful to pay a reasonable price for front cylinders for a BN2;
years ago they were something like $70 per for F/R. I never figured out
why, just for the front rights, but we got one that was obviously a
return (slightly) cleaned-up and put back on the shelf. Moss, among
others--looking at you, RockAuto--apparently put returns back on the
shelf without inspecting them.

bs