[Healeys] Front Bearings

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Jan 24 10:53:00 MST 2021

It certainly doesn't hurt to re-check end-play, even if 'nothing
changed;' the DPO--including yourself--who last did them may not have
gotten them exactly correct, and even a slight bit of wear-in could
change the depth.  End-play can/should be checked and adjusted dry or
with just a light oil on the bearings--grease gets messy and could be
contaminated in the process--then clean them thoroughly before packing
with grease and reinstalling.

I torqued my BJ8's bearings to 'spec' once, and one of the tabbed
lock-washers spun and made a noise like a bearing failing (until it
wedged itself against the shims). Now, I keep my torque wrench in the
drawer and torque to the last slot on the castellated nut that a
1/2-inch breaker bar and my 'armstrong' driver will allow. I don't think
there's much risk of overtorquing the nut--what is it, 3/4 inch?--and,
like a lot of aftermarket parts the tab on the inside of the washer may
not be a precise fit in the slot. I torque the nut until the hole in the
axle and a slot on the nut will /just/ fit a cotter, so the cotter will
resist any turning of the nut from the get-go; any gap could allow not
insignificant release of the nut's load.

Bob