[Healeys] Front Bearings

gradea1 at charter.net gradea1 at charter.net
Sun Jan 24 10:26:23 MST 2021

The torque spec is 40-70 ft. lbs. The reason for that is to allow you
to get lined up with a hole in the axle for the cotter (splitpin). If
you did not change the bearings (just repacked them) then there is no
need to measure...replace the original shims that were removed. IF you
put in new bearings, then you should measure the gap, as described in
the workshop manual, and adjust them as needed.
In any event, when the wheel is all back together, prior to installing
the caliper, it should turn freely.Use Hi Temp wheel bearing grease to
lube, especially if you have disc brakes. Clean, check for wear (See
article in Jan. issue of AH Mag) and lightly lube the splines of the
hub and wheel either with the same grease or anti seize grease. Check
this flex brake hose while there, for cracks or bulging. Most info
from manual, rest from doing it...Hank