[Healeys] BN2 Caster Angle

Michael Salter michaelsalter at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 11:48:57 MST 2021

Re:
*Still wondering how adjusting camber, for instance--zero camber is
recommended (newer cars have slightly neg. camber)--for the radial tires
most of us run is a hazard (assuming it's done properly). *
I would have completely agreed with you Bob until I started doing some
basic designing of front suspension systems.
Although changing the camber may seem like a small thing you would be
surprised at how much a small adjustment in any of the suspension angles of
dimensions affects other things including "kingpin offset" and "bump steer"
each of which can have a profound effect on ride and handling.
As an example I have a Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4. This car has 4 wheel
steering but I don't think that is relevant.
When I bought it fancy alloy replacement wheels had been installed. These
wheels moved the front tyre contact patch outboard around 1.5 cm.
The car was absolutely horrendous to drive with profound torque steer upon
the application of full throttle (320 BHP), appalling "tram tracking" and
incredible tyre wear.
I had another 3000 GT come in for service and as a test fitted the wheels
off that car onto mine. The transformation was absolutely unbelievable;
both the handling problems vanished completely.
I almost managed to talk the owner of the other 3000 into swapping his
regular wheels for my fancy alloys but just couldn't do it and came clean
by letting him drive my car with the alloy wheels back on.
Small changes can have VERY LARGE consequences.