[Healeys] Timing Chain Tensioners

Michael Salter michaelsalter at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 10:10:17 MST 2021

I note that the usual suspects all now seem to be selling 2 grades of 6
cylinder timing chain tensioners.
As far as I know the more expensive variety, which are 5 times the cost of
the less expensive type, are relatively new on the market. They are
apparently made in France and come in a Jaguar/ Land Rover package.
These are slightly different from the originals in that there is a
lubrication hole in the rubber pad that I don't recall seeing on any others
that I have used.
In my experience until very recently the rubber slippers were not a problem
on these tensioners but wear of the piston was pretty common on higher
milage ones.
My question is are these "Premium " grade tensioners significantly better
and are they worth the extra cost?