[Healeys] 100/4 / A90 old style valve seals

john harper ah100tech at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 10:35:03 MST 2021

Alan

I am not sure that I understand 'original'?

Most A90 Atlantic had single valve springs as does the early 100.
Double valve springs could be fitted to an A90 and some owners have done
so. The double types had different locator rings next to the head and at
the top more fitting to locate the double springs. The top oil seal was
located differently. There was very little in common between the single and
double spring setups. I would suggest fitting the double version because it
was supposed to eliminate valve bounce.

What I guess that what you are seeing is a non-stangard extra seal;
possibly to reduce oil being burnt that gets down worn guides. I have seen
firms selling these to reduce oil consumption.