[Healeys] Mystery casting number on Austin 6 cylinder engine - AGAIN

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Sun Dec 5 12:36:00 MST 2021

Peter, since you referred Mr. Mayor to my comment of 16 March 2014 at BCF, I need to follow up.   I still believe 12B 766 is a part number.  Exactly which part, I don't know.  It isn't specifically identified as a serviceable part in the parts manual, which to me means that it wasn't a part that could be ordered from a dealer, so I interpreted it as a casting number.  My BJ8 engine has the same number in the same place.
The BMC Mechanical Service Parts List for BJ7/BJ8 (Publication number AKD 3523) identifies several other detail parts of the engine that have similar part numbers, e.g.
Piston Assembly 12B 1159
Camshaft  12B 594
Crankshaft pulley with damper  12B 1274
Washer, nut (crankshaft dog nut) 12B 681

Other engine parts have similar, but different initial numbers
Flywheel  22B 136
Cylinder side cover (center) 2A 770

I'm sure the 12 or 12B and similar codes meant something to BMC but to know exactly what we would need more BMC design documentation than what appears to be available now.  12 or 12B means some part of an engine assembly, I would guess.

Someone some time ago was trying to document engine casting codes in an effort to figure out what they meant (date of the casting, etc.) but I forget now who that was.  I never paid much attention to those markings because I didn't think they were helpful in identification of a car, but since that post to the list I did try to identify those markings on my BJ8 engine and document as many others as possible.  Some of them are very difficult to access with the engine and other stuff installed.  The few I did record as reported by owners are these:

24A40 (or 24A49, last digit partially illegible) - engine 29K/RU/H977
7M4C - 29K/RU/H1670
D4C - 29K/RU/H1753
24A4C - 29K/RU/H1477
3H4D - 29K/RU/H3186
27H4C - 29K/RU/H5843
C23F5 - 29K/RU/H6295
C21F5 - 29K/RU/H11327 (my engine. Has 1 63 on the driver's side, both were cast with the block.

The apparent casting number of the unknown engine at BCF was L3C.

I do not know what the "M" in a diamond-shape logo means, but my engine has it also.

For what it's worth.....

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry