[Healeys] BN2 Brake Problem

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sat Apr 24 19:41:28 MDT 2021

(non) progress report:

Thinking Bill probably had the explanation, I clamped off the RF flex
line--the wheel I'd replaced the cylinder on--per Michael's suggestion
and, Voila!, a nice hard pedal. Thinking also that I hadn't expelled a
bubble, like Bill also suggested, I increased the pressure on my
pressure bleeding rig and bled all wheels again. Still, a nice hard
pedal, so I fired up my BJ8 to get it out of the garage so I could
pressure wash the undercarriage of the BN2 and take it (BJ8) for a
warm-up spin. Halfway around the 'block,' about 5 miles from home it
started running very rough so I pulled into a covid-closed restaurant
parking lot and popped the bonnet; coolant all over the passenger side
of the engine bay. It appears the gasket under the brass shut-off valve
for the heater hoses sprung a leak, so a call to AAA was in order. After
getting the BJ8 flat-bedded home I washed the 100's underside, put on
the new wheels and tires and hop in ... brake pedal goes to the floor!
Since I could get some brakes if I pumped the pedal a couple times I
took a chance on a short, abridged spin around a smaller block--the new
wheels and tires ride fantastic, and no 'scuttle shake' detected--then
parked it.

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks. I meant to try the
'hold-the-pedal-to-the-floor-with-a-board' technique, but by EOD I was
so beat I forgot. I've had trouble bleeding brakes on the BJ8, but the
BN2 has generally cooperated until now. Damned if I can explain why I
can get a good hard pedal, which proceeds to go soft from just sitting.
Good thing I love these cars.

Bob