[Healeys] SU carb fuel pressure

warthodson at aol.com warthodson at aol.com
Sun Jun 14 13:14:18 MDT 2020

Thanks for the several comments so far. The background for the inquiry is: A friend has an aftermarket fuel pump that delivers 7-10psi & a pressure regulator set at 2 psi. He also has (3) HS6 carbs. The engine starts, idles & runs fine until he stops & turns off the engine. Like at a gas station. Then upon restarting it runs rough & won't idle unless he pulls the choke partially out, I.E. fast idle, not richer mixture. We assume this is due to heat soaking &/or peculating fuel. I thought raising the pressure might help if the peculating was occurring before the float valve & wanted to know the Max fuel pressure to this model SU. I doubt that it will have any effect. We are also interested in any suggestions you may have. Additional facts:his engine never gets over 190 F when running. He has an electric fan in addition to the original fan. he carbs are not running lean. I am told the timing is correct.
Thanks,Gary Hodson