[Healeys] Brakes

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sat Jun 13 00:34:27 MDT 2020

You could always try rebuilding the servo and, if it works, great, if
not, install the imposter.

I did a lot of research before I rebuilt mine--OK, I read this list and
a couple forums--and it appeared the most common issue was with the
vacuum canister. Specifically, the rubber tube that is used to backstop
the leather seal in the canister was sold too long--intentionally--and
needed to be trimmed to an appropriate length lest the piston get stuck
in the canister. Also, the canister is lined with a dry lubricant that
wears, and I found a suitable replacement (although in hindsight I think
the original dry lubricant was still serviceable).  It's been a while,
maybe 10 years, but IIRC the canister had about 150K miles on it, and
both cylinders on the servo body were in serviceable condition (no
re-sleeving required). One thing that's hard to replace--Fred, if you
decide to buy new, I'll pay for shipping if you'll send your valve to
me--is the vacuum check valve; it's been NLA forever (my car came with a
plastic aftermarket valve; which looked grossly out of place in my
engine bay; I got a good used one from BCS).

Perry, I don't think PBE is a franchise; the one-and-only is in San
Jose, CA. I took the booster for my dad's '46 Chevy 2-ton truck there a
few years ago; great guys but the shop is an unholy mess (BF
everywhere). The Hispanic kid that worked on my dad's servo showed me
his work; he was very proud of it and had a Girling from a Jag apart on
the bench. The first time my dad tried out the booster he said the
brakes almost sent him through the windshield. I drove the truck today
and the brakes still work great. PBE stands behind--or in front?--of
their work; I got the impression they know that the failure rate is not
nonexistent.

I haven't found DoT5 to be any more difficult to bleed than glycols, but
you have to be careful not to aerate it in the process. To be sure, a
bleeder on the servo would be helpful (as long as it's not like the
bleeder on the clutch slave).

Bob