[Healeys] Steering Box Questions

Michael Salter michaelsalter at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 20:41:33 MST 2020

This is a pic of a small puller, readily available from Harbor Freight
being used to remove the steering arm from the idler on a BN1.
https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q=pitman%20arm%20puller
You will note that the castellated nut has been removed then installed part
way and upside down to help the forcing screw to stay centered.
[image: image.png]

The puller has to be modified slightly to fit over the arm and engage on
the pulling ears.
It is a bit of a fiddle but it works perfectly.
I see no reason why the same tool could not be used on a later steering box
or idler although opening in the puller would have to be slightly larger
for the post BN1 cars.