[Healeys] OD Good news Bad news

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sat Jun 29 09:40:08 MDT 2019

Either the pump, actuating pistons or the accumulator.  My guess would
be the accumulator; mine still worked at 200K miles, but the cylinder
was scored a little from the metal rings on the piston. The actuating
pistons have rubber O-rings that wear so may not provide enough pressure
to override the heavy springs that keep the OD a 'single shaft' when the
it's not operating.  I believe the accumulator and pump can be replaced
in situ, but I've not done it.  Or some combination of the three.  If
you end up replacing the accumulator I recommend the DWM 'uprated' one
if you like crisp activation.

Check: 1) pressure at the actuating valve port (should be over 400psi at
speed, but I think it'll work as low as 350--not sure), 2) that the
actuating shaft rises the correct distance--I believe it's 1/32"--when
activated.  If you have good pressure that rules out the pump.  If you
got the DWM accumulator, and it wasn't the problem, at least you'll have
a crisper OD when after you tear into it to replace the O-rings.

I'm not surprised it disengages quickly; all the hydraulics are there to
override the 8 heavy springs; the springs shouldn't fail (it's
recommended to replace them if you do a complete rebuild, though I'm not
convinced it's entirely necessary unless the OD was slipping when
engaged; I think it's a 'might as well while it's on the bench' thing).

Bob

ps.  My stock accumulator still worked normally, and I kept it; if you
want it I'll let it go for shipping cost.