[Healeys] Front Shock Camber Plates

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Fri Jun 28 18:08:20 MDT 2019

I recently acquired a set of these:

https://tomsimport.com/category/new-parts/front-shock-plate/

I'm not in immediate danger of installing them yet, but I'm starting to
plan the operation.  I'll cut off the outer part of the mounts clean,
elongate the holes, install the plates and weld the end sections back
on.  My question, for anyone who's (successfully) done this--not
necessarily the welding part--is: How did you remove the captive nuts
and any remnants of the welds that held them?  It seems to me, if you
don't clean off the welds then then plates won't sit flat on the
underside of the shock mounts, and strength would be diminished.  I have
no proof, but intuitively it seems these plates would strengthen the
mounts, as the tension load on the four bolts would be spread across the
plates--and a greater area of the mounts--instead of just being applied
to the captive nuts.

Bob