[Healeys] Differential Installation

Patrick & Caroline Quinn p_cquinn at tpg.com.au
Wed Jun 5 21:19:40 MDT 2019

Hello

An interesting chore.

Plus at the same time as fitting the rear axle you need to install the Panhard rod which I have found to be a real pain in the bum.

I became very friendly with both my trolley jack as well as a screw type bottle jack. Yes lift the individual springs up with a jack until you can start the threads, but I wouldn’t do them up until the very end. It may help if the springs were not tightened completely. After both sides are done up by just a few threads it’s time for the bottle jack to be used horizontally and braced up against a wall or some other immovable object and using some blocks of wood. Gently push the whole rear axle from the passenger side (for right hand drive cars) across until the Panhard rod goes into place. You may have to also loosen up the triangular plate that the rod fits through. Be careful that you don’t push the whole rear of the car off the stands so it might be useful to brace the chassis on the other side with more wood against another immovable object. After all that it’s a matter of tightening all the fasteners.

Worked for me and I was doing it myself.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn

Blue Mountains, Australia