[Healeys] Rear engine mountings

Mirek Sharp m.g.sharp at sympatico.ca
Tue Jan 22 18:28:32 MST 2019

Simon, I just had my gearbox out to do the clutch and went through what you
are about to embark on.  It is easy, albeit a bit time consuming as I find I
have to get under the car and then into the cabin over and over!  Do not
worry about things getting out of alignment, it is easy to get everything
back in.   Support the gearbox with a jack and then when replacing them you
can lift it slightly to make it easy to re-fit the mounts.  Completely undo
the stabilizer (tie-rod) when doing this and leave it undone to the end of
the job so you can move the gearbox around to align bolt holes.  Do not
overlook the two bolts that are accessed from underneath and from inside the
open cross member.

When re-assembling, jack the g'box up just a wee bit so you can maneuver the
mounts. Install the mounts to the gearbox first and tighten,  At least on my
BT7, and I suspect on most cars, the mounts are under a little tension and
if they are at all not complexly straight it is hard to tighten those two
bolts (2 per side), so do them first.  Then I would loosely fit the ones
underneath, but do not tighten so you can align the holes for the remaining
2 bolts (per side) on top.  When all 6 bolts holding the mounts to the
chassis are well installed, let the jack down then tighten them.  Don't
forget to do the stabilizer back up before you finish.

While you have  that great access check the front driveshaft U/J for wear
and replace if there is any play whatsoever in it.  If its ok, grease it
while you are there,  The four front driveshaft flange nuts should be
trapped under two locking tabs. If they aren't because someone in the past
thought lock washers were a better idea, consider removing the nuts and
installing the locking tabs and do it right.  Then put the interior back in.

Enjoy, Mirek