[Healeys] [OT] Collector Car 'Hobby'

HealeyRick healeyrik at gmail.com
Sat Aug 24 10:12:40 MDT 2019

To some degree, the high-dollar auctions reflect the Healey market in
general.  I've taken on the duties of "Auction Reporter" for *Healey Marque
*and, as a result, am following the auctions way more than before.  The
big-time auctions need lots of product to move over the stand in a
three-day auction, so although the high-end cars get most of the publicity,
there are a lot of mid-range cars up for sale, too.  And the same factors
that affect the expensive stuff influences the Healey market as well.  Fear
of recession, aging of the core group of hobbyists, younger folks not
caring about the 50s-70s stuff, etc.  For example, while at Mecum Monterey
I saw this rather nice Phase 1 BJ8 bid up to $35,000 and stop dead:
https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0819-380928/1964-austin-healey-3000-mkiii-bj8-convertible/
That's certainly way below what that car would've sold for a few years ago
and if you take the time to search "Austin-Healey" at all the Monterey
auction houses, you'll see similar no-sales across the board.  Obviously,
auctions don't tell the whole tale of Healey sales, but the price guides
and auction sale prices heavily influence what people expect to get or pay
in a private sale.

Just my take,

Rick Neville