[Healeys] Adjusting generator belt

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Sat Sep 29 17:37:38 MDT 2018

I second what Mike says.  Way back when I first got my BJ8 and didn't know
what I was doing, I installed a new fan felt and got it really tight (the
way I thought it should be).  Drove 300 miles and the generator bearings
crapped out.  It took me three days in Washington, DC to find a shop that
could fix it.

Healey Surgeons sent me a new one, but it wouldn't fit and it's all they
had.  I'm pretty sure it was the tight belt that ruined the bearings -- or
at least, shortened their life.

You really only need to get the belt tight enough not to slip on the
pulleys.

Steve Byers

HBJ8L/36666

BJ8 Registry