[Healeys] Adjusting generator belt

simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com
Sun Sep 30 03:47:09 MDT 2018

Agreed. I just use a bit of scrap wood.levered up a little and held in place
while the bolts are tightened. The slidey bolt underneath seems to be a
favourite to be forgotten.

I downloaded this a couple of years ago:-

"How to Adjust Alternator Belt Tension Without a Gauge.

Proper belt tension is necessary to ensure the smooth operation and
longevity of your belt-driven components. Too loose and the belt may slip or
even be thrown off of the pulleys. Too tight and the belt will cause
excessive wear on the shaft bearings of the components it is driving. There
are several rules of thumb for checking the tension on a belt without using
a belt tension gauge.

Things Needed:-

Straight edge (a carpenter's level is a good choice)

Ruler

Ratchet and socket set

Step 1:

Measure the distance from the centre of the alternator pulley shaft to the
centre of another pulley that uses the same belt. This will probably be the
water pump or the crankshaft.

Step 2:

Lay a straight edge -- like a carpenter's level -- across the pulleys, over
the belt.

Step 3:

Place the tip of a ruler against the belt, in the middle distance between
the pulleys, with the ruler against the straight edge. Push down on the
ruler and measure the gap that forms between the belt and the straight edge.
If the pulleys are seven-to-eleven inches apart, the belt should move
1/4-inch. If the distance is over 11-inches, the belt should move no more
than 1/2 inch.

Step 4:

Adjust the belt by loosening the alternator mounting bolts with a ratchet
and socket. The most common problem is that the belt is too loose. Pull the
alternator away from the centre of the engine to tighten the belt. Hold the
tension with one hand while tightening the bolts.

Step 5:

Recheck the measurement."

I don't suppose one would do all of that more than once. Do it the once to
get the feel of the correct tension...if you see what I mean.

Simon