[Healeys] Non-adjustable hub/boss

Al Fuller al at bighealey.org
Wed Nov 14 21:30:16 MST 2018

Mike – thanks for taking this on.  Please feel free to forward my comments
below to Moto-Lita.

On my 1962 Austin-Healey 3000 BT-7 [since sold], when I purchased the car
the prior owner had installed a new Moto-Lita steering wheel and boss B-6
[“non-adjustable”].  Installed with the steering wheel  / hub was a
decorative horn-push, which was not wired to the horn.  A picture of the
horn push button is attached.  See similar horn buttons here
<http://www.classicowheels.com/hornbuttons.htm> , and here
<https://www.britishcarcentre.fr/fr/austin-healey/100-1006-3000/steering/296
57/horn-button-moto-lita-hub-only/sg4900.html> .

I did receive the standard Austin-Healey trafficator in a box of parts, but
when I tried to install I found interference between the hub and
trafficator.  I don’t recall all the details, but do remember the
trafficator would not seat  into  the hub.

Several machine shops refused to even try the machining, and I wound up at
a broaching shop in Orange County, Ca which did the work.  The owner and
long-time machinist later told me it looked at first like it would be
straightforward, but in fact it required center-truing the hub and several
different cuts to make it fit right.  The trafficator fit perfectly after
that.  A picture of the trafficator installed in the hub is attached [but
the steering wheel is off in that picture, as the car was undergoing work].

Al Fuller

'65 BJ-8

'85 Rx-7