[Healeys] Non-adjustable hub/boss

Al Fuller al at bighealey.org
Wed Nov 14 21:27:06 MST 2018

Mike – thanks for taking this on.  Please feel free to forward my comments below to Moto-Lita.

On my 1962 Austin-Healey 3000 BT-7 [since sold], when I purchased the car the prior owner had installed a new Moto-Lita steering wheel and boss B-6 [“non-adjustable”].  Installed with the steering wheel  / hub was a decorative horn-push, which was not wired to the horn.  A picture of the horn push button is attached.  See similar horn buttons here <http://www.classicowheels.com/hornbuttons.htm> , and here <https://www.britishcarcentre.fr/fr/austin-healey/100-1006-3000/steering/29657/horn-button-moto-lita-hub-only/sg4900.html> .

I did receive the standard Austin-Healey trafficator in a box of parts, but when I tried to install I found the interference between the hub and trafficator.  Several machine shops refused to even try the machining, and I wound up at a broaching shop in Orange County, Ca which did the work.  The owner and long-time machinist later told me it looked at first like it would be straightforward, but in fact it required truing the hub and several different cuts to make it fit right.  The trafficator fit perfectly after that.  A picture of the trafficator installed in the hub is attached [but the steering wheel is off in that picture, as the car was undergoing work].

Al Fuller

'65 BJ-8

'85 Rx-7