[Healeys] Generator not Generating

Roger Grace roggrace at telus.net
Tue Feb 27 09:19:03 MST 2018

Yes agree with Thomas about the replacement regulators; and they can’t be adjusted either that an absolute pain; you can do some malicious bending to set volts that is very time consuming.

Here is another simple quick test procedure to verify generator functionality. You don't even need to start the engine. Remove the armature (big one) and field (small one) wires from the gen. With a clip lead connect the 2 terminals together at the gen. Loosen fan belt (not essential but better practice). With another temp lead connect/flash them to batt supply. I use the solenoid terminal. You will see some sparks and the gen pulley trying to turn if all is OK. It is now running as a shunt motor. If you loosened the belt it will spin smoothly if all is OK.

rg