[Healeys] Generator not Generating

Norman Hendry Norman.Hendry at shaw.ca
Tue Feb 27 19:13:47 MST 2018

Hello Patrick

Agree with the recommendations given by Roger and Thomas that you check the
generator prior to the regulator

Another version of the test is:
1. Disconnect the two cables from the generator then link the two terminals
together with a short lead.
2. Start the engine and allow to run at idling speed. Clip one lead from a
voltmeter (set at 20 Volts) to the linked terminals of the generator. Clip
the other lead from the voltmeter to a good earthing (ground) point on the
body (support bracket) of the generator
3. Gradually increase the engine speed; the voltmeter reading should rise
rapidly without fluctuations. Do not allow the voltmeter reading to reach 20
volts and do not race the engine in an attempt to obtain a reading. An
engine speed of 1000 RPM should not be exceeded.
4. No reading points to brush gear failure, a reading of 0.5 - 1.0 Volts is
a possible fault in the field winding and 4.0 - 5.0 Volts, a faulty
armature.

Good luck

Norman