[Healeys] A Mystery

Tom ah3000me at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 18:36:48 MDT 2017

I rolled to the side of I89 in NH a couple of months ago.   I replaced the
rotor, the car started up and ran fine until it rolled to the shoulder of a
little country road a couple of weeks later.   In the quiet of the country,
I could hear a little bit of snapping, and I could see a small electric arc
inside one of the electrical connectors to the coil.

After 50+ years of owners popping distributor caps off and wiggling all the
wires above, one of the connections failed from fatigue.   The wire was
close enough to the connector that it usually worked, except when it didn't.

I suggest firing up your engine and giving all the connectors a little
wiggle, just to make sure something isn't loose or fatigued.  If you hear
the engine miss, you may have found the culprit.

- tom