[Healeys] BJ8 Temps

Roger Grace roggrace at telus.net
Mon Sep 4 08:13:36 MDT 2017

My BJ8 seems to perform better with the increased O2 of lower
ambient temps in the evenings and mornings. There even seem to be fewer
rattles squeaks and groans too !
I have an oil cooler, electric rad. fan oil temp gauge and standard rad.
Whenever I spend more than say 20 mins in traffic after the engine oil is
already up to temp, the idling is impacted due to what must be due to
increased engine compartment air temp, and the HD8 mixture becoming too rich for that
ambient.
So I decided to do some crude testing, and installed a temp. pick up near
the rear carb intake.

In an ambient of around 85F and sustained cruising at around 60 MPH – elec.
rad fan off
Water is 190F
Oil is 165- 170F
Engine compartment is around 130F

At same ambient and elec. fan now on and after 25 mins idling in traffic
Water is 200F
Oil is 180 F
Engine compartment is over 155F and idling has to be nursed to avoid
stalling. This must be a build up of exhaust heat with no exit path.

Have tried to compromise with mixture settings but not yet found a sweet
spot.
So l was wondering if anyone has tried to improve engine compartment venting
and how ?
Assume this why some cars have louvers on hood or side of car.
Ideas comments welcome.

On a similar thread has anyone used the cold vent air to bring cooler air to
the carb intake area when cruising  ? Results ?

rg