[Healeys] Overdrive wiring question

Earl Kagna kags at shaw.ca
Sun Sep 3 23:55:07 MDT 2017

Bruce:  what Roland is saying is correct – a maladjusted throttle switch can cause problems.

Here is what I would do, having just gone through this whole thing yesterday on a buddies BN6: after doing whatever repair is necessary to the harness, (and double checking the connections at the relay), disconnect either one of the throttle switch leads at the switch (tape the loose lead just because) and run the test again.  If the solenoid goes in and out with the dash switch on and the gear lever being moved in and out of the 3 –4 position, then the relay is good and the throttle switch is not set right. (incidetally, the car can be driven this way, the overdrive will simply switch out as soon as the dash switch is turned off,)

If the solenoid does not activate at all, the relay is bad and the power is going to the solenoid through the throttle switch.

Setting the throttle switch correctly is pretty tricky on a Healey – requires a lot of beer and bad language.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb