[Healeys] Static timing

Michael Salter michaelsalter at gmail.com
Wed May 31 11:35:09 MDT 2017

Hi Stephen,
Yes very confusing.... I use 5/8" - 3/4".
For what it is worth here is the procedure that I have found easiest and
most accurate.

*Turn the engine so that the rotor is coming up to the #1 or #6 cap
terminal.*

*Ignition off and connect a test light between the live starter solenoid
terminal and the distributor low tension connector. The light should come
on when connected.*

*Engage 4th gear and gently "nudge" the car forward until the light goes
off. (Points open)*

*At that point the timing mark on the pulley should be 5/8" - 3/4" before
TDC. i.e. to the right of the pointer when looking forward.*
*If it isn't adjust the distributor position and repeat the above
procedure. *
Just rotating the distributor with the crank positioned on the timing mark
just doesn't seem to produce accurate results in my experience I suspect
because of backlash in the distributor drive.

Michael S

--
*If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.*