[Healeys] Static timing

Stephen Hutchings s.hutchings at rogers.com
Wed May 31 10:05:09 MDT 2017

I remember someone saying that the Haynes manual had some poor or inaccurate instructions within its covers.Recently I found some strange instructions for setting up the static timing on the Healey 6 cylinder.They seem to be telling you to set the timing with a test light at TDC, without any advance...find TDC, turn the distributor until number one is firing, wiggle so that the play allows your test lamp to go on and off, and tighten.The BMC shop manual says to find TDC, and then "The crankshaft should be rotated backwards to obtain its correct position ..." presumably to the correct degree of advance- not too precise but the advance is acknowledged at least.
I seem to remember that the measurement is about 5/8", and that's what I've used in the past.My rebuilt distributor came with the instructions of 10-14 degrees at idle without vacuum...would that be about 5/8", or slightly less, do you think?
Thanks, Stephen, BJ8