[Healeys] This has me stumped!

BJ8Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Sat May 20 07:50:26 MDT 2017

Hello, Healeyphiles -

This is an MG Midget, but the wiring is similar to a Healey.  I cannot
figure this one out.  The situation:

1.  I am reassembling the car after a total repaint.

2.  During disassembly, the molded plastic connectors in each of the
headlamp harnesses crumbled, so I replace both harnesses with new ones from
Moss.

3.  Because the headlamps were mis-matched and one had no high beams, I
replaced both headlamps with new ones. (NOTE:  the left lamp high beam did
not work in the car with the old harness, but I just checked the bulb
directly to the battery and both beams worked).

4.  I drove the car to a location where I could adjust the headlamp aiming
according to instructions at danielsternlighting.com.  Both lights worked on
both high and low beams.

5.  When I finished the aiming procedure, I turned off the headlamp switch
before starting the car to drive home.  That's the last I have seen of
either the high or low beams.  Fortunately, it was not too dark to see and
less than a half-mile to home down a neighborhood street.

6.  I have checked the headlamp wiring end-to-end per the BMC wiring
diagram.  With the headlamp switch on, I have 13 volts at all locations
checked:  headlamp switch blue wire to turn signal switch (power input),
turn signal switch blue/white wire (high beam circuit), turn signal switch
blue/red wire (low beam circuit), 13 volts to both circuits at the headlight
connector of the new harness (since neither light is working, I am only
troubleshooting the right one so far).

7.  Continuity of ground at the headlight connector.

8.  The light (both high and low beams) burns brightly if I connect its
terminals directly to the battery.  I also plugged in both the old bulbs,
for what that's worth, and neither of them worked.

So, the new headlamp is good, I have 13 volts at both high and low beam
terminals of the new harness and continuity of ground.  I can also measure
13 volts on the lamp terminals with it plugged into the harness.  What is
the problem?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Steve Byers

HBJ8L/36666