[Healeys] Dynalite or which alternator to C42 Generator

Chris Dimmock austin.healey at gmail.com
Mon May 1 07:42:20 MDT 2017

The funniest thing I find about the "alternator inside a generator" conversions is the bloody pulley. It might look like a generator body - but you have to run a tiny pulley, because it needs a bucket load of revs to generate didly squat, more than a generator.
Any good Lucas generator runs a Larger pulley - because it generates enough amps and stuff at low revs. Seriously men. Who revs their car past 5,000 rpm on the road?
I run a C42 with a bigger DWR Pulley.
That means I'm slowing down the old Lucas C42. Because it already generates enough power.
Ok. I'm not running a 1,000 watt sound system or 4 IPods, and a grille full of spotlights. FFS - it's a Healey!!
So if you run one of these alternator inside a generator silly things, it's a joke. You've got a fake, compromised alternator. Immediately identified by the pulley. An alternator needs air for cooling. A generator casing doesn't provide that.
Run one or the other. Generator or alternator. I've got no issue if you run an alternator. Run a good, sensible, reliable one.
Nearly as stupid as putting a disc brake inside a brake drum. Same issue.
Innovative- but it doesn't work unless all you do is drive to a coffee shop.
Simon. Just get a C42 and return the core when you get back.
Best Chris
Being Grumpy about modern shit.

Sent from my iPhone